No Work No Rent – Renters Demand Security
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 19/08/2021
The announcement of a further two weeks of Victorian COVID-19 restrictions marks 12 weeks of lockdowns since the initial circuit breaker was announced on May 28.
Without proper state or federal assistance during these 3 months, too many renters without work have found themselves saddled with unpayable debt, or have been evicted from their homes by the courts. Commercial tenants are receiving support while residential renters are left to fend for themselves. This is unacceptable. It’s long past time for the federal and state governments to do the bare minimum and reinstate the Eviction Moratorium.
- The emergency measures enacted in the circuit breaker restrictions necessitate the reinstatement of the COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium.
- The Commercial Rent Relief Scheme must be applied to residential leases.
RAHU is calling on the Victorian State Government to:
- Reinstate The COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium until December 2021
- Introduce the Commercial Rent Relief Scheme to residential leases
- Immediately reinstate COVID-19 Emergency Hotel Accommodation until December 2021
- Immediately enact an amnesty on rental payments for renters affected for any reason by COVID-19 for the length of Stage 4 Restrictions
- Restrict the enforcement of evictions and debt collections via VCAT or Victorian Courts for any debt arising due to COVID-19
Media contact: Mitch Alexander – 0414 687 142 or email [email protected]
The Renters And Housing Union (VIC) is a member-run Union of renters and people in precarious housing, formed out of the rent strike as a response to the COVID19 crisis. We collectively organise for the right to safe and secure housing through self-advocacy, education, and frontline eviction defence.
Find out more and join RAHU https://rahu.org.au/