Rent Increases

Take a look at the RAHU Guide to Rent Increases here.
You have the right to 60 days notice, and during this 60 days, you have a right to challenge it if you think it might be excessive.

What’s changed:

For all tenancies:

  • Your landlord must give you 60 days notice of the proposed increase
  • The proposed rent increase must be submitted to you via the standard form.
  • On this form, your landlord must include the method by which the rent increase was calculated. The rent increase cannot be greater than the amount calculated using this method. 
  • If you believe the increase to be excessive, you have a right to challenge it
  • You must challenge the increase within 30 days of receiving the form
  • You can find out if the increase is excessive by comparing it to the rental market and Consumer Price Index (CPI)
  • You can challenge the rent increase by ticking the box on the rent increase form, adding your contact number, and emailing this to [email protected]  

What counts as excessive?

As a union we stand against the right for housing to be dictated and dependent on market forces.
For us renters stuck in the private market, the legislation defines ‘excessive’ by the rental market and its supply and demand.

To make sure we can fight back against excessive increases after March, we’ve crunched the numbers.

Consumer Affairs Victoria states the measurements used to calculate this are the current Consumer Price Index (CPI) or the Statewide Rent Index (SRI)

The current Consumer Price Index (from 2021) is 0.9% (ABS January 2021)

Statewide Rent Index (SRI) for last quarter (Sep. 2020) decreased -3.6% (DHHS Rental Report 2020)

Due to the rental market significantly decreasing over 2020, 
If your landlord attempts to increase your rent by over 1% from what you’re currently paying, you may want to challenge it.

Download the form to challenge a rent increase here

My landlord/agent has sent me an email saying they are increasing the rent
This is not in the correct form, and is therefore not valid.
Contact us for support: [email protected]

Further resources:

Consumer Affairs Victoria: Rent Increases

Download the form to challenge a rent increase here